Mark your calendars!
Nov. 4, 2:30-7:00 p.m.
Dec. 8, 11:30 a.m.
Open House, Sixth St. Facility
Sixth St. Holiday Potluck
Marilyn Wirtz, newly elected Grant Wood AEA Board member takes the oath of office along with Morris Greenfield, who ran for a new term with the Board. Wirtz replaces Randall Jordison as the representative for the Iowa City school district. Not present at the meeting was Pam Jacobs, who was elected to fill Janet Martin's position on the Board. In accordance with state law, since Pam was unavailable for Wednesday's meeting, she was sworn in by Board President Jim Green at an off-site location prior to the Board meeting.
Teacher Quality proposals are due November 4
Application forms for the Teacher Quality proposals can be found on the Teacher Quality portal. For more information, contact Sherry Sines, GWAEA Professional Development coordinator, Ext. 6517.
Open House for Sixth Street Office
Please mark your calendar for Wednesday, Nov. 4. The agency will be hosting an open house to celebrate the facility's restoration from last year's devastating flood. The open house will run from 2:30 to 7:00 p.m. Feel free to invite friends or family to come tour the building. Light refreshments will be available in one of the conference center rooms.
Various escorted building tours will be available. Staff are welcome to invite family and friends to the open house and escort them through the building. Managers will provide tours throughout the building. Guests will be allowed to tour the facility as long as they are accompanied by a GWAEA staff member. Please wear your GWAEA ID badge if you are at the open house.
Got an Idea, Suggestion or Complaint?
Use the agency's Idea Board! You can find the Idea Board link on the agency portal. It's the fourth bullet under the heading of GWAEA Information. Click on the link, and type in your ideas or comments. All items posted to the Idea Board are shared with the agency's administrative team. You have the option of putting your name on the posting or leaving it anonymous. If you would like to post something right away, here's the link:
Link to Grant Wood AEA Events posted to homepage
The Grant Wood AEA Events link on the homepage features a listing of agency events. (You can find the link at the bottom, center of the agency's home page.) Connie Dvorak shared that the listing of events are pulled from the Room Scheduler program. Future software upgrades will include the development of a public view checkbox so private meetings and mediations can be removed from the list.
For more information about either the Grant Wood AEA Events or Room Scheduler programs, contact Connie Dvorak, Ext. 6720.
21st Century Learning Institute - cohorts for Grant Wood AEA staff
Registration deadline is Oct. 23
We have opened three additional cohorts of our 21st Century Learning Institute. This is the same technology program that has been extremely popular with teachers in our schools. These cohorts are for Grant Wood AEA staff only. Click here for additional information.
The registration deadline is Oct. 23. For information, contact Andy Crozier, Ext. 6866.
Did you know?
- We provide PowerSchool to 36 districts and 254 schools in Iowa and that we are the second largest PowerSchool client in the nation!
- That as a member of the Grant Wood PowerSchool family schools get the added benefit of "add-on" databases built by our programmers? This includes things like: a health/nursing database, a discipline database matched to the format of our PBS trainers, and - coming soon - enhanced assessment charting and graphing!
- Eric Cleveland and Lisa Twedt will host 16 high school students through the Workplace Learning Connection over the next several weeks so that they may explore the profession of graphic design!
- The agency's Media Center circulated 136,724 items last year! That equates to 375 items every day, 365 days a year!
- Media van drivers logged 103,700 miles last year.
- The number of educators in AEA10 who logged into Iowa AEA Online products purchased by Grant Wood last year totaled 3,128,749? (That averages out to 8,572 logins a day, every day of the year!)
- Maintenance staff assisted in cleaning and installing shelving and conveyers at the VAST center as part of their implementation of new processes.
- We will being putting out notices to staff this coming week on what will be cleaned weekly and when they might expect the cleaning to be done in each area.
- Hearing booth completed with light and duct work
- Cabinets were installed in the Conference Center in order to house electronic cords. This should keep the front of the room looking more orderly as well as providing more protection for the projector and speaker cords.
- Did you know? You can download helpful hints for the telephone system and watch short, informative tutorials for all of the functions of our new phone system? Access this information at http://www.aea10.k12.ia.us/intranet/techsupport/tsindex.html
Click on the link above to access Professional Development opportunities for October.
For more information on any of these listings, contact Sherry Sines, Professional Development coordinator, Ext. 6517.
New look for The Linker
Grant Wood AEA's newspaper, The Linker, will feature a new look with the Winter 2009 issue. A change in printers offered the option to change to a color process at a lesser cost than the previous format.
The Linker is distributed to area educators, school board members, college and university education professors, libraries, a subscription list, and GWAEA staff.
For more information about The Linker or to suggest a story idea, contact Valerie Taylor Hill in the Communications Office, Ext. 6824.
Terri Nicol, LMT, will provide chair massages on Thursday, Nov. 12, 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. in the Iowa Conference Room, Sixth St. Facility. The chair massages are $10. To schedule a time, please e-mail Stacy Murphy, at email@example.com.
Wanted: Pink Yoplait yogurt lids
Stacy Murphy, IMS operator, is collecting pink Yoplait yogurt lids to support the annual "Save Lids to Save Lives" drive for breast cancer research. Collection containers will be available in the break rooms of the Cedar Rapids and Coralville facilities or contact Stacy, Ext. 6888.
Buy, Sell and Trade
Computer desk $50. Call Deanna, Ext. 6513.
The Bulletin Board is published and distributed weekly to all GWAEA staff and Board members. Buy, Sell or Trade items are run for 2 consecutive issues, unless we are notified to remove an item. If you wish to submit items, please do so by Wednesday of the week you wish the item to be posted. Send items via email to George Held in the Communications office (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please note: The Bulletin Board is also posted on the agency's Web site and is publicly accessible. We recommend you use your office or voice mail phone number instead of your home telephone number for any items listed in this newsletter.
Grant Wood Area Education Agency extends equal opportunities in its employment practices, educational programs and services, and does not discriminate on the basis of color, gender, race, national origin, religion, creed, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, veteran status or as otherwise prohibited by law. If you believe you or your child has been discriminated against or treated unjustly, please contact the Agency's Equity Coordinator, Maria Cashman, at 319-399-6847 or 1-800-332-8488 or TDD 319-399-6766, Grant Wood AEA, 4401 Sixth St SW, Cedar Rapids, IA 52404.
The Bulletin Board is the official employee information publication of Grant Wood Area Education Agency, 4401 Sixth Street, Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52404