Lisa Becker

Christine Kullander

Sherry Sines
PD Coordinator

Additional Resources

AEA PD Online
Statewide AEA PD Offerings
BOEE Licensing Information
Drake University

Evaluator Approval Information

Morningside College

Substitute Authorization

A statewide shortage of substitute teachers has led the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners to approve a Substitute Authorization Program. Anyone who meets the following five criteria is eligible to participate in the program:

  1. Has successfully completed all the requirements of the approved Substitute Authorization course.
  2. Has achieved at least one of the following: (1) holds a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution, OR (2) has completed an approved Paraeducator Certification Program and holds a Paraeducator Certificate.*
  3. Has attained a minimum age of 21 years.
  4. Has successfully completed an Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation background check.
  5. Has successfully completed a National Criminal History background check.

Receiving a Substitute Authorization will allow an individual to substitute teach PK-12 for no more than five consecutive days and no more than ten of 30 days in one job assignment and no more than 10 of 30 days in one assignment.

An individual who holds an Iowa Paraeducator Certificate AND completes this course will be authorized to substitute only in the special education classroom to which the individual paraeducator is assigned for employment. 

The four core components of the Substitute Authorization course include Classroom Management, Strategies for Learning, Diversity and Ethics.

Upon successful completion of the course, participants may apply to the Board of Educational Examiners for the Authorization.  A state and federal background check by the BOEE is required prior to the Authorization being issued. In addition to the class fees, there are additional fees for the background check, the application, mandatory reporter training and renewal of the Authorization.  Please check the Iowa BOEE website for specific fee information.
Local districts have the option of hiring individuals with the Substitute Authorization.  Completion of the Authorization does not guarantee employment in all districts.  Please check with your local district for regarding their policy.


Renewal of Authorization

The period of renewal for this authorization is once every five years. At the time of renewal you will need to submit verification of two approved license renewal or college credit courses taken within the five year period from the date your Authorization was issued, the renewal application form, documentation of Mandatory Child and Dependent Adult Abuse training and the renewal fee.


Click Here to see class information.
3268 Substitiute Authorization