Financial Accounting Assistant
Reports to: Business Manager
Provides technical support for accounting systems and operations in the Business Services/Human Resources Offices.
- BA degree in accounting, business administration or related field; or, alternatively, combination of education and experience equivalent to Associate degree and three years of experience in an accounting position.
- Demonstrated knowledge of grant administration and reporting.
- Proven skills with business office equipment related to the position.
- Assists with preparation of annual budget and monitoring of expenditures.
- Assists with project accounting and prepares reports for grants and contracts.
- Compiles information to assist in internal and external report preparation and audit activities.
- Monitors funds in accordance with Board policies and Uniform Financial Accounting for Iowa LEAs and AEAs.
- Performs monthly bank reconciliation and adjusting journal entries to balance cash.
- Supports credit card processing and reconciliation of revenues.
- Coordinates administration of the 403b/tax sheltered annuity plan.
- Develops, maintains and processes records and documentation in accordance with Agency policies and procedures.
- Initiates and responds to communications from internal and external clients.
- Coordinates and assists with the fiscal year-end process.
- Provides technical support for Agency negotiating teams.
- Participates in staff development and professional growth activities.
- Participates in projects, committees or activities to support the mission of the department and Agency.
- Assists staff with finance system questions.
- Assists with research pertaining to personnel, including salary, fringe benefits and other pertinent projects.
- Maintains financial records for vending machines and miscellaneous funds.
- Coordinates accountability for capital equipment inventory including supervision of annual physical inventory.
- Assists with reconciliation and annual rollover of leave system.
- Performs other such duties as may be assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to read and interpret documents, write reports and correspondence, and apply appropriate mathematical concepts.
- Knowledge of accounting practices.
- Proficiency in computer skills, including spreadsheet and word processing software.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships and function as a team member.
- Ability to work independently and to develop and implement work systems.
- Ability to prioritize, organize and problem solve with individuals, groups and teams.
- Ability to handle information in a confidential manner.
- Ability and willingness to be flexible and responsive to changing needs of clients and the Agency.
- Normal, routine levels of bending, carrying, lifting, climbing, reaching, sitting, standing, and walking.
- Sufficient manual dexterity to be able to operate office equipment including, but not limited to, computers, fax machines, copy machines, typewriter, calculators, telephones.